Check out these courses and workshops
There are loads of courses and workshops in Derbyshire, and weve trawled around for the best courses for you to improve your skills or gain new ones or just simply to feed your soul. Read on!
Craft and practical skills courses and workshops
Have you always promised yourself some 'me time' to get to grips with a new skill? We've got all angles covered with our selection of groups, classes and workshops to get involved with. So, get wiggling your belly, tapping those feet, carving wood or stone or take to treading the boards.
Multimedia artist, Ingrid Karlsson-Kemp has put together a programme of workshops throughout 2014 that will take place in her studio in Earl Sterndale near Buxton. Download the PDF at the bottom of this page for the full programme 'at a glance'.
In Bolsover at the Beans Coffee Shop there are regular workshops for all sorts of tastes and interests:
Straightcurves in Chesterfield have a packed programme of arty and crafty workshops - and the focus over the summer in on children's entertainments! - to help you learn a new skill, whether the skill you would like to learn is arty or crafty!
Or you could take a look through this selection of arts and crafty workshops all around the rest of Derbyshire:
There are also plenty of regular workshops, groups and club meets:
Deeper interest courses, lectures and workshops
There's something for everyone here, whether you want to actively get involved in a workshop, or want to listen to a lecture by a seasoned guide.
Pauline Townsend is a silk painter based in Buxton who runs a series of silk painting workshops for beginners and advanced silk painting enthusiasts alike.
Try some of the following and dig deeper into one of the interests you have in your life:
In Derby at the Green Door Printmaking Studio there are also a whole range of printmaking techniques workshops to sign up for:
There are also lots of regular groups to join:
- Matlock-based photographer Tez Marsden offers photography courses year-round
- - Senior band Wednesday evenings 7.30pm. Training band and novice group Monday evenings 6.50pm in Long Eaton
- run in Buxton on the first Sunday of every month, so check one of them out.
- Make/Music is a regular an evening meet to make and play musical instruments in Matlock.
- Focus on in Swadlincote on the last Wednesday of each month
- Join the Brampton Best Knitters every Wednesday night, in Brampton, for knitting! (well, actually for crochet and spinning too)
- Field Breaks: Art breaks offer a range of non-residential and residential art, craft, textiles and media workshops running over two to three days or a week throughout the year in Castleton.
- Enjoy a literary lunch break. Go along and read (or listen to), historical fiction in a period setting on the first Monday of every month. Pickford's House Museum, Derby .
Reading, libraries and literature
Read more about the Derbyshire County Council library service in the PDF attached at the bottom of the page. The library service is more than just a building with books!! You can access a whole range of other services online 24 hours a day, so read on to find out more.