There are a couple of schools within nine miles of downtown Richmond that have art classes. Read an overview of three schools' programs, requirements and admission info and find out which school is the right one for you.
View 4 Popular Schools »
Richmond, VA, Art Schools
There are three universities in Richmond that offer art classes as part of their degree programs, as well as access to campus-based art centers, galleries and museums. Continue reading to learn more about the program options at the individual schools, and use the comparison table below the summaries to review their institutional profiles. An additional school option can be after the table.
- The University of Richmond offers three undergraduate programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts. At almost nine miles, this schools is the furthest away from Richmond's downtown.
- Virginia Commonwealth University offers the greatest number of art programs, and awards range from bachelor's to doctoral degrees. At a little over a mile, the university is the closest to downtown Richmond.
- Virginia Union University, located just over two miles from Richmond's downtown, offers an undergraduate program that leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts.
University of Richmond
The art history and studio art programs at the University of Richmond are available as majors and minors; the university also offers an undergraduate program in arts management. Students must receive a grade of at least C in all courses that apply.
Bachelor of Arts in Art History
The undergraduate art history curriculum begins with prehistory and continues through the present. In addition to art history, students learn about art theory, participate in a studio art course, complete a thesis research project and give an oral presentation. An internship and electives in archaeology are encouraged.
Bachelor of Arts in Art Studio
The studio art curriculum includes some of the same art survey courses found in the art history program, with the addition of four studio art electives. Major topics include color and composition, sculpture, video and contemporary art theory. An advanced studio seminar and a thesis-development course are also required.
Bachelor of Arts in Arts Management
In this program, students learn the functions that administrators perform in museums and arts organizations dedicated to the theatre, visual arts, dance and music. Although the curriculum is geared toward non-profit organizations, students can apply what they learn to other fields, such as business and law. Internships with art organizations are available.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University's School of the Arts began as a single night class in 1928. Today it offers 25 bachelor's and graduate degree programs in art history and the fine arts.
Try continuing education classes
At local Community college, summer workshops at local art schools.
Since you're in the medical profession, cost shouldn't be a factor. Take a sampling of beginning classes: life drawing, acrylic, watercolor and oil painting, maybe a ceramics class to hone your 3D skills. Also try "Mixed Media" which can open up new avenues with respect to the process.
Most painting is about process anyway....might as well explore it.
Steve's Amazing Grace the Painting Mule Print From Orignal Painting "Humming Bird's Nectar"
Single Detail Page Misc (Steve's Amazing Grace LLC)
- Grace is a 5 year old mule out of a quarter horse mare, she is very smart! Grace is broke to ride, pull a buggy; she jumps and also performs many amazing tricks.
- She has won many halter classes, jumping competitions, trail classes and much more. Grace also won the National Title America s Ultimate Horse Idol 2008 competition...
- Grace s greatest accomplishment thus far is her role in the movie Get Low with Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray and Lucas Black playing in theaters now...
- We have auctioned off a lot of Grace s original paintings for charity. We do benefits for cancer, nursing homes, homeless shelters, free clinics, and many more.
- Each print is 12x16 and mailed in a sturdy cardboard tube
Sedalia Center celebrating 25th anniversary this weekend — Lynchburg News and Advance
True to Annis' intentions, the Sedalia Center opened by offering art classes and workshops involving some form of the arts.
Chandler Photographer David Miller: 100 Creatives — Phoenix New Times
While the Chandler-based photographer teaches adult photography, art classes, and workshops at the recreation departments of both the City of Chandler and the City of Tempe, Jerry's Artarama in Tempe, and Art Intersection in Gilbert, in addition to ..
Living in these Bodies Exhibit Part II opens at Waterfall Arts, Aug. 1 — PenBayPilot.com
Both Living in these Bodies Part I and II are generously sponsored by Revision Energy, Coyote Moon, City Drawers and Seahorse Stables; media sponsor is WERU.